Thursday, March 31, 2005

Hiccups make the World Go Round
At least it seems that way. I've just returned from my trip to Asia (Singapore / Vietnam / Malaysia) and things wouldn't have been nearly as exciting had everything gone smoothly.

I arrived at LAX early, as is recommended due to security checks. My early arrival prompted the suggestion by United Airline staff that I catch the early connector to SFO. "Better to wait there, than wait here." Okay. A bit of a wait in SFO, but little or no wait in NRT and a mere 20 hours later, I arrive in Singapore.

Unfortunately, my bag doesn't arrive with me due in large part that I didn't arrive in SFO on the plane I was supposed to be on. So I'm a full day in Singapore without a change of clothing. Luckily, I brought extra sock and underwear.

I had specifically spent extra money on a private tour for my time in Vietnam, knowing I didn't speak the language, and I was in a communist country and would probably need help getting around. I was supposed to be picked up at the airport by a tour guide. I waited, but no tour guide. All I have is a reciept from an office in Hanoi, but I'm in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon). A cabbie convinces me that he knows where to local office is and will take me there. Upon speaking to the people at the Sinh Cafe Travel Agency in HCMC, they inform me that the Hanoi office is not affiliated with them, due largely to the fact that VN doesn't honor copyright as they should. This phenomenon has happened to others. It's possible that I've been completely ripped off and have no reservations at all, but the good people at the HCMC Sinh Cafe, call the hotel I'm scheduled to stay at and find that I do have a reservation. They recommend that I go there and wait for my tour agent. They put me on a motorbike cab and luckily for me I've used a backpack instead of a suitcase. By 4:30pm, the tour agent has worked everything out and I'm to start my tour the next day. He was very apologetic. I was just happy to be in the hotel.

Everything is fine until the last night in VN. I'm supposed to be booked for a dinner cruise on the river. Upon dropping me off at the hotel, my guide says he'll be back at 7pm to pick me up. I figure I'll talk to him then about the cruise as I'm hoping to meet a friend of a friend of my sister in law afterward for drinks. Shortly after I make it to the room, the phone rings. It's the guide; he says he's arranged for dinner at the hotel restaurant and he'll see me in the morning and promptly hangs up. I didn't get a chance to remind him about the dinner cruise. Oh well, dinner with the friend instead. That worked out better, unfortunately, I discover that I've left my camera in the tour car. No pictures of my dinner host.

Except for the fact that the tour company subcontracted the deal to the bus company that took me to KL and due to that I didn't get the hotel upgrade I paid for and am currently trying to get my money back for it. Malaysia was a good time. After a smooth trip to the Petronas Towers Skybridge, I was approached by a young lady. After some introduction, she convinces me to talk to her sister about being a teacher in the US and have lunch with them. Figuring I'll get to see the KL tower on another trip but not have lunch with a pretty girl - I go have lunch with her. Unfortunately, I only barely make it back in time to pack and check out of the hotel and because I needed to use cash to paid the cab to make it back, I have to go to the ATM again just to have money to eat on the way back from Malaysia.

Lastly, I just couldn't sleep on the way back from Singapore. For the near 18 hours, I sleep for about 3. Later when I arrive back in CA, I don't sleep. When I finally do sleep, it's for nearly 12 hours, but it's now thrown me off. So nearly 4 days later, I'm still not on a good sleep pattern yet.

Ah, the excitement of world travel!

No comments:

Post a Comment