Monday, July 05, 2004

One Word! Prenup!

(Read Story)

Here is why I think it's necessary to get a prenuptual agreement. Okay, so I'm not so sure how things work out once children are involved, but it bothers me that married people can engage in affairs with no remorse.

Alright, I'm not married. Maybe I don't know what it's like. However, I have little interest in paying for a wedding, get cheated on, pay for a divorce, and lose half my assets to someone all because of the stigma of a prenup. What's good for the goose is good for the gander: If my spouse has all the assets and the dominate salary and I'm stupid enough to cheat, then I ought to lose any claim to marital assets, alimony, palimony, child support, etc... Similarly, even if I find myself in an unhappy marriage and counseling fails, no one should expect to gain half of their spouse's assets.

Children shouldn't suffer for their parents' stupidity. Fine, child support, but my problem with child support is that there are people out there who will use child support as their sole income. Further, there are way too many people out there who will hide their income to appear destitute and unable to pay child support just to avoid their responsibility.

"Single, unmarried" sounds pretty good right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment