Tuesday, March 23, 2004

Customer Service is a lost art!
Once upon a time, seemingly a lifetime ago, there was a motto in the business community: "The customer is always right."

Evidently, they retail sales managers train their employees: "The customer is never right!" Buyer beware! Expect your objections to be met with poor attitudes and angry friction. Not to mention a chorus of "It's not my fault. I just work here."

Fine from the wage slave, but from a shift supervisor or store manager?

EXAMPLE: (Until Further Notice - Boycott Jennifer Leather/Convertibles)
I needed to pay the balance on my furniture order and I arrived at 11am. Posted operating hours 10am - 9pm. They weren't open until 12:30pm, because according to the salesperson, their telephones were down, but after opening, the phones were still down. I was reasonably upset about being inconvenienced by the delayed opening and when I asked her to explain the sense in delaying the opening when either before or after 12:30 no phones would be available I was met with hostility.

Worse, when asked if I could contact the manager, I was told he was on vacation. Fine, he gets a vacation, BUT who takes care of the customer in his absence?

Let's see if e-mail and voice mail to upper management accomplishes anything. I wish I could cancel my order without penalty.

No comments:

Post a Comment